Number 4 Chapel Row is a fine example of a typical 19th Century ironworker's cottage. Built in 1825 for the workers of the Cyfarthfa Ironworks, the cottage was the birthplace in 1841 of Joseph Parry, Wales’ best known composer. His much loved 'Myfanwy' is still a favourite of Welsh Male Voice Choirs to this day.
The interior of the cottage is set in the 1840's, and shows the living conditions of the ironworkers at the time when Parry was a young boy. The upstairs galleries house an exhibition about Joseph Parry's life and work.
1st April – 30th September - Saturday and Sunday 2pm – 5pm
1 October – 31st March - Open by appointment only
(Please note there will be a £1 per head charge for opening out of hours).
Contact Cyfarthfa Castle Museum on (01685) 727371 to make an appointment.
Joseph Parry’s Cottage can be opened for school visits all year round. Contact the Museum Education Officer on (01685) 727371 for more information or to make a booking.
A school visit to Joseph Parry’s cottage offers a unique opportunity to learn about the living conditions of 19th Century Ironworkers. Many schools choose to visit both Cyfarthfa Castle Museum & Art Gallery and Joseph Parry’s Cottage in the same visit, as it offers an excellent opportunity to compare the homes of Ironmasters and Ironworkers.
Facilitated visits to Joseph Parry’s Cottage are available for school groups of all ages - please click here to view the programmes on offer.
Talks can also be provided to community groups and further and higher education groups. Due to the size of the cottage, we can accommodate a maximum of 30 children - or 20 adults - at any one time.
For more information, or to book a visit, contact the Museum Education Officer on (01685) 727371.
At Joseph Parry's Cottage the ground floor can be accessed via a ramp. Due to the historic nature of the building, the first floor can be accessed by staircase only.
Free car and coach parking is available at Joseph Parry's cottage. On entering Chapel Row, two large parking bays can be found on the left hand side of the road.
Joseph Parry’s Cottage is run entirely by volunteers during the summer months. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at Joseph Parry’s Cottage, please click here for more information.
Sponsored By Colin Laver Heating
Thank you to Colin Laver Heating who have generously sponsored Joseph Parry's Ironworker's Cottage enabling us to relaunch on May 21st, 2016.